June 16, 2019        Login     
 OUR PAST   
 
  Minimize
OUR PAST
The college on the hill

                               


  "The youth who are trained at Yankton are worth more to Dakota double the same number trained at Yale, Oberlin or Ann Arbor."  -  General William H. H. Beadle, the first superintendent of Dakota schools


HOW IT BEGAN
In 1881, Joseph Ward established his dream, a Christian institution of higher learning, Yankton College.  It was chartered by the territorial government on August 30, 1881.  The City of Yankton donated $11,000, of which $9,000 came from Ward's congregation, and a tract of 25 acres to Yankton College, thereafter known as the "College on the Hill."   

The cornerstone for the first building, known as the Conservatory, was laid in June 1882.  It was dedicated in connection with the formal inauguration of Ward as the first president of Yankton College.  In his spirited address, Ward is quoted, "What can be nobler than to found an institution that, by the simple force of its daily life, shall go out among the young and call each one to a higher life than he could have found without it!"   

Ward and others believed that wisdom, knowledge and faith were inseparable, and that it was through the study of oneself, the universe and social order that the traditions of arts and science and human thought equipped one for life. Ward "laid down courses abreast of the standards customary at that time in old and well-established institutions."  He designed the curriculum to include both classical and scientific courses, insisting on patterning his school after the established colleges he had known in the East. 

In the beginning, the Articles of Incorporation included establishing eleven professorships:  1) Moral and Intellectual Philosophy and Natural Theology; 2) Latin Language and Literature; 3) Greek Language and Literature; 4) Physics and Astronomy; 5) Rhetoric, English Language and Elocution; 6) Modern Languages; 7) Music and Painting; 8) Chemistry and Mineralogy; 9) Geology and Natural History; 10) Mathematics and Civil Engineering; 11) History and Political Economy.  

In addition to a four year college program, a three-year preparatory program and a two-year sub-preparatory program was offered, as well as, special programs for music and art education, and soon a teachers course was added.  


   

The Conservatory built on College Hill was the flagship building for Yankton College. Built of Sioux Falls jasper, it was dedicated in 1884 and, later, became known as Middle Hall.  With three full stories and a basement, it served as a dormitory, dining hall, chapel, library and recitation hall. Every YC student and graduate perhaps best remembers the building for its two towers, one with the College bell and the other with the College clock.  This historic landmark was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.  It  housed the Conservatory of Music with classrooms, studios and a rehearsal hall.  The Yankton College Conservatory of Music presented the study of music to develop intellectual, artistic and technical phases of the art to the students.  Faculty members with broad musical training and proven teaching ability turned students into finished musicians, who then went on to unlimited musical career opportunities beyond the Midwest.

Other early buildings were Dakin Hall, the young women's dormitory built in 1890 and Ward Hall of Science, built in 1894.  Dakin Hall caught fire and burned and was replaced by Kingsbury Hall in the same year.
 

Breaking ground on College Hill for the Ward Hall of Science.
 
 The College on the Hill, circa 1900.

  

COLLEGE MOTTO & BELL
Around 1884, Joseph Ward was on one of his many East Coast fundraising trips and happened to be in Andover, Massachusetts where Charles M. Sheldon, Ward's nephew, was a theology student.  Mr. Sheldon had a literary gift and Dr. Ward told him what he wanted for a verse for the college bell in accord with the motto already chosen for the College (Christ for the world).  Mr. Sheldon sat down with pencil and paper, and in a few moments had composed some lines, which he handed to his uncle.  These seeming to Dr. Ward not quite satisfactory, Mr. Sheldon tried again and presently produced the following:

At morn, at noon,
at twilight dim,
My voice shall sound,
      the earth around,
     
C
hrist for the world,
the world for him.

Dr. Ward said at once, "Those are just right," and so that beautiful legend was inscribed at its casting upon the bell. 

 

COLLEGE SEAL 
Joseph Ward seemed determined to impress this sentiment upon the life of the College.  He himself before his death (in 1889) drew a sketch for a college seal, which long after was brought to light and adopted.

“All things come to those who wait." . . . some time before the commencement of ’04, four designs were submitted to the students for inspection, and suggestions were solicited from all interested in the seal.  The subject was presented at the annual collation, and a vote was taken.  The seal here reproduced was chosen.  We feel that this is a step in the right direction; that the seal will add greatly to the dignity of the college, especially since such an appropriate one has been chosen.  The design embodies the two principles for which Yankton College has ever stood; spiritual and intellectual development.  The cross sheds its light upon the book and added to this is the motto so familiar to all who have ever been connected with Yankton, “Christ for the world.”                                              - 1905 Yankton Student

The picture of the cross shedding its rays of light on the Open Book is a true symbol of the ideal of the liberal arts in education.  The Cross, emblem of the divine power of love, is the criterion of value in all search for truth.  It illuminates the page as the scholar reads.  The Book is no single specific volume, not even the Bible itself, although that is the most important of all, in the field of the scholar’s searching.  The Book is the general province of the liberal arts, including the culture inherited from the past, and the unfolding revelation of the present.  All is studied as ministering to the spirit of man, and all is judged under the light of Divine Love.  Thus the Open Book of the Yankton College Seal typifies a collection of books, a library, the true sphere of the work of a scholar.  It is according to this conception that a library has always been regarded as the very heart of an institution of learning.    - Founder's Day Program, May 6, 1955


 

COLLEGE PRESIDENTS

The following men were presidents of Yankton College respectfully from 1883 - 1984.

Joseph Ward: 1883 -1889

Albert Tallman Free:  1892 -1895

Henry Kimball Warren: 1895 - 1925

George Williston Nash: 1925 - 1940 

Joseph Lyle McCorrison Jr.: 1940-1943

James Clark Graham: 1945 - 1954

Adrian Rondileau: 1954 - 1962

Donald B. Ward: 1962 - 1970 

Fred S. Honkala: 1970 - 1972

Alfred M. Gibbons: 1973 - 1977

Orlan Mitchell:  1977 - 1984

Edward Couch: 1984 - 1985
There were interim presidents and administrators as well.  Those who have served as presidents of Yankton College respectfully after it closed are: Don C. Peterson and Dr. W. F. Stanage and Dr. Charles N. Kaufman. Currently Dr. Joe Ward III serves as the President. 
 


 
COLLEGE CAMPUS
Garden Terrace Theatre
The Yankton College Garden Terrace Theater was the first open-air theater in this country specifically designed in 1913 with a stage incorporating the essential structural features of the London theaters of Shakespeare's time.  It was used for plays, concerts, coronations, commencements and other outdoor events, weather permitting, providing a new era of entertainment for the College and Yankton culture.   It contained formal Italian landscaping with enclosing hedge, garden wall and terraced stage. 
 
Clarke Observatory
The Yankton College Clarke Astronomical Observatory was the gift of Edward L. Clarke, in memory of his father, Joseph.  It cost $2,800 to build and was fitted with a seven-inch refractor-type telescope, one of the largest in the State.  The foundation is said to be "twenty feet deep and solid stone, its massive proportions being necessary to prevent the passing of street cars and trains on the adjacent railroad tracks from shaking the telescopes out of equilibrium."  It was used for astronomy classes (pictured below) and also extensively in the early programs of the government in detecting orbiting satellites.

COLLEGE MASCOT
Yankton College is the home of the Greyhounds, the athletic team name for football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, track, cross country, golf and tennis.  The name was proposed by Bert "Bones" Fenenga '16, captain of the the 1915 basketball team and all-state center in football, who believed the wearers of the Yellow and Black uniforms had to win "by speed and courage rather than by physique."  His suggestion was adopted when a new student constitution said: "The Greyhound shall be considered the official insignia and mascot."  Vince E. Montgomery was coach of the Yankton College football team when the players were first known as the Greyhounds.  

There were record-breaking athletes, like "Smokey Joe" Mendel '31 and Tommie Lee White '66.  Coaches like Carl Youngworth '19 provided leadership and focus. Some kids came to this Midwest college with only their athletic ability, graduated and and went on to play pro football, like: Elroy Glanzer '62 for the Denver Broncos; Dean Wink '66 for the Philadelphia Eagles; Bob Sondergaard '67 for the Pittsburgh Steelers;  Lyle Alzado '72 for the Denver Broncos, the Cleveland Browns and the LA Raiders; Les "JJ" Goodman '72 for the Green Bay Packers and there were many more.   The  Yankton College Greyhounds have been chronicled in the various Greyhounds, the Yankton Student, the College Bulletin, the Yankton Press & Dakotan and many other sources. 
 
The YC Student Body has a newly acquired school mascot by the name of Bridget.  She is pictured here with her caretakers, Douglas Carrington '63 and Marilyn (Van Epps '63) Wendel.  

A Quick Glance of the Historical Timeline
1882 
- First classes began with five students.

1883 - Forty-three students attended by the end of the first year. Teacher's course was inaugerated.

1884 - Joseph Ward inaugurated as College president.  103 students are enrolled and taught by seven teachers.  Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) and Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) were formed. Aristonian Women's Literary Society was formed. 
 
1885 - Inscription for College bell written. Library contained 1,500 volumes.  The Yankton Student began as the first student newspaper in Dakota Territory.  Subscription was 45 cents per year.

1886 
- Tuition was Fall ($15), Winter ($12) and Spring ($10)

1887 
- Students join in planting trees on campus.  The first intercollegiate debate was held in Vermillion and included YC students from the Oratorical Association.  The first commencement was held in June.  Edward H. Pound was the first and only graduate in Theology that year.  William J. McMurtry joined the faculty and becomes Dean of the College serving until his death in 1927.  Tennis inaugurated as the first intercollegiate competitive sport around this time.

1888 
- Ground broke and construction began for Dakin Hall, a women's dormitory.  

1889 
- "Free" scholarships are offered to one graduate from each high school in South Dakota.  First intercollegiate football competition was held at the old depot grounds east of Yankton where YC loses 12-0 to the University of South Dakota.  President and Founder of Yankton College, Joseph Ward died at age 52. 

1890 
- Alice Reynolds Kingsbury was the first woman to graduate, then was appointed instructor of French.  "Free"  tuition for children of clergymen in South Dakota or Nebraska and one year of "free" tuition to a student from each county in South Dakota or Nebraska.  Thegn Men's Literary Society was formed.

1892 
- Albert Tallman Free became the second President.  First intercollegiate track competition held on a regular basis.  

1893 
- Ground-breaking ceremony held for Ward Hall. 

1894 
- Clarke Observatory opened.  First regular football season started in the fall.

1895 
- Rev. Henry Kimball Warren became third President. 

1897 
- A women's physical training course is added.  

1898 
- Baseball inaugurated as an intercollegiate sport.  

1900 
- First "Opening Day" exercises was held, a forerunner to Fall Convocation.

1901 
- Crane Gymnasium opened.  Five acres are purchased for an athletic park, later known as Crane Field.  George Harrison Durand joined the faculty as professor of English.   

1903 
- Basketball inaugurated as intercollegiate sport.  

1904 
- Y-Club was organized by John L. Griffith, coach and director of physical education, who founded the Drake Relays.  Adelphian Men's Literary Society was formed.  Cornerstone for a new library was laid.  First Founder's Day was observed on the anniversary of Joseph Ward's birthday, May 5.  Lee N. Dailey was appointed Conservatory director, a position he held for 43 years.  College seal was adopted.   

1905 
- Lay Library is dedicated.  

1906 
- Germane Sodales Women's Literary Society was formed. 

1908 
- First Commencement play, The Comedy of Errors, was performed on an outdoor stage.  Sarah Wood Ward, wife of Joseph Ward, died.

1911 
- The first Okihe, the student yearbook, was published.  

1914 
- Dakin Hall burned to the ground.  

1915 
- A central heating plant was added.  Kingsbury Hall for Women was dedicated.  Garden Terrace Theater was dedicated and A Merchant of Venice was performed.  The first issue of the alumni publication, the quarterly Yanktonais was published.

1916 
- "Greyhound" athletic nickname and mascot proposed.  YC, Huron College and Dakota Wesleyan University form the new South Dakota Intercollegiate Athletic Association. 

1917 
- Women's Glee Club organized.  YC chapter of Pi Kappa Delta, national honorary forensics fraternity chartered.  First Pioneer Day was observed. 

1918 
- Miss Pioneer Day was established. 

1920 
- Men's Glee Club was established.  

1921 
- The first Kronithonitollithron Banquet was held on Pioneer Day in October.

1923 
- Gregg Evans and Harry Savage join the faculty and Carl Youngworth was named Coach.

1924 
- The YC Orchestra is established as a permanent organization. 

1925 
- George W. Nash was inaugurated as fourth President.  Chapter of Theta Alpha Phi, national honorary dramatics fraternity was chartered. Enrollment tops 300.  Howling Thirteen is established.  

1928 
- Pi Gamma Mu, national social science honorary society is chartered.  Hazing is curbed as a result of a "freshman revolt."  Paddling is banned.  Beanies worn only until Pioneer Day.  

1930 
- Forbes Hall of Science opened. Howling Thirteen became Howling Thirty to support athletic contests.

1931 
- "Smokey Joe" Mendel '31 tied the world record for the 100-yard dash at 9.5 seconds in Huron.  YC merges with Fargo College, a Congregational Church of North Dakota.  Look Hall, a men's dormitory opened. 

1932 
- Redfield College merged with Yankton College, becoming the School of Theology.  

1933 
Hail! Yankton College! is published.   

1937 
- First Parent's Day was held.

1940 
- Joseph Lyle McCorrison, Jr., the fifth President arrived.

1942 
- Lifetime Pass was given to the Letterwinners who were graduated.  

1946 
- James Clark Graham became the sixth President.  

1947 
- Barrack apartments were added for the married students.

1948 
- Nash Gymnasium was dedicated.    

1949 
- The Greyhound, the student yearbook, became an annual publication.

1955 
- Adrian Rondileau became the seventh President.

1962 
- The School of Theology closed.  Donald B. Ward, the founder's grandson, became the eighth President.  Bruno Beghe's sculptor of Rev. Joseph Ward was placed in the Hall of Congress in Washington, D.C.

1964 - Durand Hall, the co-ed dormitory, opened.  

1965 
- Elm Hall, a men's dormitory, opened.

1967 
- Warren Campus Center opened. 

1969 
- Crane Field is renamed Crane-Youngworth Field.  

1970 
- Lloyd Library opened.  Fred S. Honkala became the ninth President. 

1972 
- The Women's Sports Program began in basketball and volleyball.

1973 
- Alfred M. Gibbens became the tenth President.  

1977 
- Orlan Mitchell became the eleventh President. The Greyhounds were voted the College Team of the Year by the South Dakota Sportswriters. 

1984 
- Edward Couch became the twelfth President.  Yankton College closed its doors December 21.

1985 
- Final Commencement held in June. Don C. Peterson became the thirteenth President.  

1988 
- The campus became a camp for the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons.

 

For more information, contact the Yankton College office toll-free (866) 665-3661.